Today is my favorite day of the season…the vegetable contest! Each season our young gardeners and their families participate in the contest by harvesting their finest (and silliest!) vegetables currently growing in their plot. The gardeners then clean and arrange their picks on a tray to present to the Quality Control Team. The purpose of this team is to help make sure the submissions meet the criteria set forth in the contest rules:
1. Vegetables entries must be harvested directly from the child’s garden plot.
2. Entries must be free from diseases, insects, and soil. So, harvest everything that is ready.
3. Each contestant is allowed to submit only one entry per vegetable category and one with a flower focus.
4. The maximum number of vegetable category entries per child is four.
5. Every vegetable entry must be accompanied by a completed entry form (both top and bottom).
6. Entries must have the exact number of vegetables required for each category submitted.
Check out the criteria for each vegetable category:
Once each family has entered their chosen vegetables, the judging begins!
After 45ish minutes of judging, the results are revealed at the potluck picnic – which was attended by all families, volunteers and garden leaders! Take a look at the food line!
Each veggie category gets a winner, and then an overall winner is announced. This young lady, a third generation gardener, won the contest overall with her broccoli!
Take a look at some of the other entries!
That’s all for this week friends – Be sure to check back next week to see what we’re up to in the garden!